There is no suspension of oil exports- Makuei
The government has denied allegations that it suspended the exportation of crude oil through Port Sudan after the Monday military coup that triggered civilian unrest.
The Government Spokesperson who also serves as the Minister of Information Michael Makuei Lueth denied the allegations at a press briefing on Friday.
Makuei lashed at the reports saying those who peddled such rumours failed to conduct proper research to understand that the military government’s state of emergency did not affect the crude oil exports.
“It is not suspended. The problem [with some of] you is that you do not follow the news from Eastern Sudan. They (Sudanese military government) have been saying that we are making an exception, and out of this exception oil will be exported,” Makuei told journalists after the Council of Ministers meeting yesterday.
“They will allow some trucks to carry food to Khartoum. This is what they have said and this is what they have done. We have started negotiating with the [Sudanese] government and now everything is in the process,” he added.
Makuei sought to clarify widespread media reports that the South Sudanese government had temporally suspended the exportation through Port Sudan due to the ongoing political crisis in the country.
South Sudan’s revenues coming from the oil sector stands for 95 per cent of the revenue collected. The country exports its crude oil to the international market through Port Sudan.
Following the bloodless coup that was orchestrated by the military, under the stewardship of Lt Gen Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, the African Union reacted by suspending Khartoum from all its activities.
The African Union Political Affairs Peace and Security said in a communique that the suspension would be in place until the effective restoration of the transitional authority steering the country toward the election.
“African Union decides to suspend the participation of the Republic of Sudan in all African Union activities until the effective restoration of the civilian-led transitional authority,’’ the statement noted in part.
The union welcomed the release of Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok but further called for the immediate release of the ministers and civilian officials in detention
Prime Minister Hamdok was released on Tuesday and escorted to his home in Khartoum by the military.
Dr Hamdok was taken to his home under tight security following condemnation of the coup by the international community after the detention of the civilian leaders.
The City Review ascertained that the US government had issued a notice stopping the $700 million it had pledged to the Khartoum government to help the country transition to democracy.
The US assistance was approved in a budget bill last year 2020 fiscal financial year which intended to support Sudan in democratic transition.
United States Department of State had warned repeatedly that any changes by forces to the transitional government put risk in United States’ assistance to Sudan.
The US said the actions contravene Sudan’s Constitutional Declaration and undermine the democratic aspirations of the Sudanese people who have repeatedly called for peace, justice, and liberty in their country.
Also, the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for the ‘‘immediate release’’ of Dr Hamdok who was detained alongside other civilian leaders.