South Sudanese youth warned against crossing Mediterranean Sea

South Sudanese youth warned against crossing Mediterranean Sea
A dramatic image of a capsized migrant boat in the Mediterranean Sea (photo credit: Reuters)

The government has called on the youth to stop taking the risk of illegal entry into Europe.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation warned South Sudanese against being part of human smuggling that has proven deadly on the Mediterranean waters.

 It follows an incident where 50 South Sudanese crossing to Italy last week were confirmed dead in the Mediterranean Sea.

Speaking to City Review yesterday, the Spokesperson of the Foreign Affairs Ministry Edward Hakim said: “Anyone who wants to travel to Europe should [migrate] through regular and legal channels so that they are protected.”

He said they were yet to contact the relevant sources to get the exact details of South Sudanese immigrants who perished in the accident.

However, the Sudanese government said earlier this week that South Sudanese who died in the Mediterranean Sea were among 4,850 illegal immigrants who were abandoned by smugglers. The others were from Ethiopia and Eritrea.

Hakim said the government was yet to receive official information from credible sources about the status of those South Sudanese who were involved in the incident.

“We are still consulting with relevant sources to find out exactly who was involved,” Hakim said.

Other 280 South Sudanese who successfully crossed to Europe were said to be receiving treatment in Italian hospitals according to the report issued by the Sudanese government.

 “It is unfortunate considering a great loss to every life [owing to the] kind of contribution of each individual when needed especially the young people,” Hakim said, as he sent condolences to the families of the victims.

However, a report released on Monday, by Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO) has called on the government to urgently investigate the incident in which 50 South Sudanese lost their lives in the Mediterranean Sea while crossing to Europe.

In 2020 alone, 1,369 migrants died in the Mediterranean Sea in an attempt to get to Europe.

According to Statista, the number of deaths in the Mediterranean Sea in 2021 is estimated at 1,400. The majority are Africans escaping low living standards and poor economies caused by bad governance in their countries.

MORE FROM NATIONAL