Mother of drug poisoning victim worried of future effects
A mother of one of the victims of the botched deworming has expressed worries over the long-term effect the drug could have on the children who developed complications after taking it.
Rasoul Amida Gordon told The City Review that she was worried that her daughter could develop health complications in the future as a result of the medicine.
“The conditions of these children from Maridi, especially within the four days [were bad]. It was on the fourth day that they opened their eyes here in Juba; it was by the grace of God,” Amida told The City Review in an interview on Monday.
“We did not believe that these children would wake up and talk again especially the two,” she added.
Amida stressed that even if the children had recovered, it was still difficult for them as the parents to know how the future of the children would be.
“We leave them to God. We still have [doubts] in our mind [whether] with the side effects of the medicine these children would be fine in the future,’’ she said.
She went on to pause: “Would they reproduce because most of them developed the problem in the stomach and they urinated blood?”
Amida warned South Sudanese to be conscious enough not to accept medicines that would be provided to them by organizations unless they are sure of mitigating the effects.
“If you give a child something and the child knows that it is for his or her future, he will not refuse but because they were threatened that whoever did not take the medicine will not be given her report card for this year; the children took it,” she explained.
The woman blamed the health workers for leaving the responsibility of distributing the drug to the teachers who she said knew nothing about drugs application.
“The people who [supplied] the medicine did not give it to the children themselves, they gave it to the teachers and the teachers were the ones who distributed the drugs without measuring their weight.
“They were also given the tablets on an empty stomach when they were from a short break with a threat that whoever did not take will not get her report card for this year”
Amida said she does not understand up to now why the teachers forced the children to take the medicine without knowing what quantity they were supposed to take.
She urged the teachers not to accept any responsibility by health workers next time to give children medicine which they do not understand.
“Next time when there will be something of this kind they should not accept to give our children again because what happened would have cost us,” she warned.
About 100 children developed complications after they were given deworming tablet in Ibba Girls School in Western Equatoria State two weeks ago.
Four of the children were then airlifted to Juba by the government for intensive care after their conditions deteriorated.
One of the children told The city Review that she survived because of the oxygen given to her by the doctors in Maridi and Juba.
She revealed that she was given four tablets of deworming to take at once which made her fainted and fell unconscious right after she took it.