Mabior pushes for security arrangement implementation
The son of late Dr John Garang de Mabior—founding father of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM)—is pushing for the implementation of the Ceasefire Transitional Security Arrangement to end the conflict in South Sudan.
Capt. Mabior Garang de Mabior, a former member of the SPLM-IO political bureau, said he has submitted a workable security arrangement implementation matrix acceptable to all parties to the revitalised agreement to President Salva Kiir on his recent visit to Juba.
“We have now tried to come with a proposal that is agreeable to everybody, that can be best for the security of our country so that our civil population can finally find real peace, not politicians trying to use the agreement for regime change,” said Mabior.
The Chapter Two of the security arrangement has been one of the critical outstanding tasks parties were yet to implement as provided for by the peace deal.
According to the agreement, parties were to train, graduate and deploy 83, 000 necessary unified forces within eight months of the signing of the agreement from September 2018.
Nearly half of the over 40 000 joint trainees at various training centres across the country, who have completed training processes about one and half years ago since January 2019, have deserted in search of basic needs.
According to the ceasefire monitoring mechanism, the trainees were facing deplorable conditions due to lack of food, safe and clean drinking water, medicines, and shelters which the National Transitional Committee is responsible for providing.
However, Capt. Mabior said the delay in implementing the security arrangement resulted from a lack of proper negotiation of the pack by the parties.
“We discussed the issue of security arrangement how it is important for finding peace, how some opposition groups have not been honest in [the] implementation. We don’t blame him [President Kiir] very much for not implementing the agreement,’’ said Capt. Mabior.
On October 28, the National Transition Committee (NTC) said it would cost South Sudan $40 million, an equivalent of SSP16 billion to cover the crucial pending processes of the implementation of the peace agreement, including security arrangement.
According to the NTC’s budget, the security arrangement requires $31.5 million (SSP12.72 billion) to cover the stalled process of screening, training, graduation, transportation, and deployment of the first and second batches of the necessary unified forces.
But, the Chairperson of RJMEC, Maj. Gen. Charles Tai Gituai demanded that the coalition government should reveal how it intends to implement the remaining provisions of the agreement within 16 months.
“I want to reiterate my concern that we are already behind the agreed timelines and the implementation schedule. According to the timelines of the agreement, it is 16 months to the end of the Transitional Period. Despite all that which has been achieved, a lot remains to be done.
“I would like therefore to request the RTGoNU to provide members in our next meeting with a plan on how to it will implement the outstanding tasks in the remainder of the Transitional Period,” Maj. Gen. Tai demanded.
Earlier in October, the government called on forces who abandoned training centres and cantonment sites to return in preparation for graduation and screening of the second batch respectively.